Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application.
You MUST apply in person
Out of State Residents – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
*PLEASE CALL THE FLEMINGTON POLICE DEPARTMENT PRIOR TO APPLYING – DO NOT JUST SHOW UP
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
- Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
- All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three (3) years prior to the date of the application.
- Fillable form can be found here: SP-642
- Four (4) color passport size photographs with your application package.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP-66.
- Filliable form can be found here: SP-066
- Written proof of qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved.
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
- Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
- A money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE New Jersey Shooting Ranges | New Jersey State Police - Firearms Information (nj.gov).
A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.